Sunday, September 18, 2011

Blog Post 4


The Benefits of Podcasting in the Classroom by Joe Dale
In this first video by Joe Dale it explains how podcasting can be beneficial in the classroom. The one thing that it points out is it not only can help the students, but also the teachers as well. By creating a podcast students who miss school with being sick or any other reason will now have no excuse to do poorly on tests or homework assignments. Another benefit to podcasting is that teachers will not have to figure out make-up work for their students because of the podcasts the student can watch the instructions anytime, anywhere.
The first thing I want to say about this video is that I never thought that I would agree that technology would play such an important role in education. I had a lot of "old school" teachers that never used technology in their classrooms and they were very effective. Now, I cant help but to think what if they used all of this technology? How different would my education be? This is a question that sticks in the back of my mind. I also never thought I would say this, but after seeing this video I do not know how I cannot use this technology in my classroom.
Langwithces
On this blog its a teacher who creates podcast through using first grade students. She does this for these students to learn their assignments and to learn how to create podcasts, and I know I have said this but they are in the first grade! She basically uses this as a learning activity for her students and the students parents as well. One thing I do like about this is that in the podcasts she uses the students to read the parts of the assignment, and what she says is that they really get into doing the project and want to do it right.
The main thing that really stuck out to me was that she actually uses the students to complete the projects. I do believe that we as teachers could use this to our advantage. We can get the students involved and I believe that would peak their interest to learn. I liked the fact that was the way she taught and she used all of the technology to her advantage and not let it go to waste.
The Judy Scharf Podcast Collection
On this blog Judy explains what a podcast is and why podcasts are effective. She explains a podcast is a "radio-style" talkshow that can also include music. She also goes on to say that podcasts convey information online. She also includes a list of reasons on why podcasts are effective. Some of the various reasons include that they are accessible 24/7, the parents can download the students work, its a cool way to learn, students can make up their classes, ect. So overall she explains on why we as teachers should use podcasts.
I thought this was a very helpful blog because it helps push inspiring teachers like myself who thought that we do not need technology in the classroom. These reasons just help push me to the side of technology. I mean it is such an effective tool, so why should'nt we take advantage of it as teachers. We are the ones who will be teaching the future leaders of our country and world for that matter.

1 comment:

  1. "I had a lot of "old school" teachers that never used technology in their classrooms and they were very effective. Now, I cant help but to think what if they used all of this technology? How different would my education be? This is a question that sticks in the back of my mind. I also never thought I would say this, but after seeing this video I do not know how I cannot use this technology in my classroom." Ah, EDM310 is working!

    Your comments indicate these helped prepare you for your podcast.

    ReplyDelete