Friday, September 2, 2011

Blog Post 2

Did You Know? 3.0
This is a very eye opening video that points out how far technology has come in the existence of man. It also sets out to predict how far technology will go in our lifetime. Another thing that it shows is that since technology as well as the world is constantly changing, we as a human race struggle to keep up.
Like I said before Did You Know? 3.0 is a very eye opening video. I was shocked at how much we as a human race depend on technology, but then I started thinking about it and I am not really shocked at all. I know for one I use google every single day to look up something that I do not know and obviously other people do as well. I also couldn't believe about the super computer that would be capable of being smarter than the human brain, that really blew my mind.

Mr. Winkle Wakes
Mr. Winkle Wakes is a story about a character named Mr. Winkles who has a 100 year slumber and awakens to find that the world is completely different from how it used to be. He went everywhere to try to find comfort away from all the machines that could do so much, so he went to a local school after being at a business building and a hospital. Once arriving at the school he immediately felt at home, because all of the rows were in order and all of the students would listen to the lecture and write down their notes instead of using the machines.
I think Mr. Winkle wakes is a fairly accurate video. A lot of times the machines he referred to are important in our daily lives. If you are a businessman you might have to use those "machines" for your job. Another thing I wanted to point out is, the classroom is changing as well. More and more teachers are becoming computer literate and starting to use technology in the classroom, and I know by the time that I become one I will have to be doing the same.

The Importance of Creativity
Sir Ken Robinson makes plenty of interesting points throughout the entire video. He begins with telling jokes about how he moved from England to get the audience interested, because he is a funny guy. Then he goes on to talk about the public school system and how it kills creativity, or how he put it educates us out of creativity. He makes a point how the public school system molds us to be like college professors because they only teaches reading, writing, math, ect. He also says that people that are creative need music, art, and dance classes because they are important to those people, and everyone for that matter. The reason for this is he explains that everyone is creative at one point in their life, they just get educated out of it by the time they are an adult.
I thought this video was very interesting, mainly because I have never thought about education in the way that he explained it. I never thought about music, art, and dance being important in school. Then I got to thinking, what if these subjects were taught along with all of the other "core" classes? Would I still be a history major? Well, I guess I will never know, but it definitely got me thinking about what might have been.

Cecilia Gault interviews Sir Ken Robinson
In this video Cecilia Gault, a student from Finland performing arts school interviews Sir Ken Robinson on how creativity can be important in a child's life. She asks him the three myths of technology and he explains in one of the myths that everyone is born creative, it is just the fact that the person has to decide to use the creativeness.
I believe through this video that the schools in the U.S. need to do more to make sure that we have a more balanced approach to school with putting the arts in our curriculum just as Sir Ken Robinson said. I also think its important to take advantage of all of the technology made available to us.

Harness Your Students Digital Thoughts
In this video Vicki Davis teaches students how to harness their digital thoughts by teaching them how to do different things on the internet. She teaches them how to connect to social networks, such as digiteen so they can be made available across the world. Another thing she uses is digisimms.
Vicki Davis really said something that meant something to me, because I thought it was something important before I became a teacher. She said that you do not have to know every subject before you teach it. That really "hit home" to me because I felt like a teacher does need to know that until now. I know I have had some bad teachers that did not know what they were talking about and I did not want to become them, but she explains that it is okay to learn from your students.

3 comments:

  1. Learning from our students is humbling but extremely valuable! Good job on the post! It seems you've really understood the importance of each assignment. Keep it up! And don't forget your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Tyler,

    I am glad that you mentioned that technology is starting to be incorporated within the classrooms in your analysis of “Mr. Winkle Wakes.” I was a bit skeptical when the only technology that was shown in the video was an old computer that was not even being used. When I walk into schools, I see teachers utilizing all different types of technology to teach their students! As educators we need to remain progressive and be able to adapt the methods we use to teach our students, which means that we must remain technologically literate. It’s a good thing that we have EDM 310 to help us out!

    Sir Robinson does indeed stress the importance of balancing core classes and the arts. Have you thought of any ways that you could incorporate the arts into any of your potential lessons when you become a history teacher? It might be smart to start thinking of specific ways that you can incorporate the arts into your lessons so that your students do not grow out of their creativity. I enjoyed learning about your opinions on the videos we watched and I look forward to reading more of your blog posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. " I was shocked at how much we as a human race depend on technology," What about football teams? I read recently that every imaginable statistic was available to coaches in the booth for the best NCAA football teams. And most had video demonstrations. For example, how many time has player x been stopped when running on 3rd down with situation Y and previous play Z.

    " I know by the time that I become one I will have to be doing the same. " Correct!

    "I never thought about music, art, and dance being important in school. " That's part of the problem. There are a lot of people like that!

    It is impossible to know everything. You must model being a learner!

    ReplyDelete