Sunday, October 30, 2011

Blog Post 10








Do You Teach or Do You Educate?
I think this video is very eye opening, and if you are wanting to be a teacher you should definitely watch this. The main thing it does in my eyes is that it shows the differences of being a teacher and being an educator. It shows that if you are going into the field of education that you need to be an educator and not just go through the motions because you are so much to these student. I chose to go into the education field to make a difference in the younger generations life and to hopefully guide them in the right direction because after all, they are the future of our great country.
When we go into the education field we are so much more than just teachers as the video suggests. The students look at us not only as teachers, but also as advisors and role models. We all need to make sure we are educators to provide our students with real world scenarios.


The second part is Tom Johnson's Don't Let Them Take the Pencils Home. This is where Mr. Spencer uses code for technology in saying that they are pencils. In our past it is said that if you allowed students to bring their pencils home then they would score lower on their standardized tests because they would not be able to focus on the use of the pencil. In many ways a person could make the same accusation about technology. Yes, it is a very useful tool that is used for learning, but if the student uses it for other things instead of learning then it could cause great dismay.

I feel like he wants the students to be able to have pencils to use as an education tool, and trust that they will do the right thing. The main issue I had is that it just reminds us how much society focuses on standardized test scores when half the time it doesn't even show what a student can really do. In everyday life how many times are there test? Hardly ever. So, I think that this was a great way to show the solution to a problem instead of looking for something wrong with it.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, my name is Sarah. I think that it is wonderful that you have a great desire to be a great example to your future students. I have this same desire. I want my students to trust me and know that they can count on me to be honest and truly care about their success. I have had teachers that I thought were trying to fail me. I do not want to be that kind of teacher.

    Something else that really stuck out to me is your feeling about standardized testing. I can guarantee that you are not alone. I also do not see this type of testing as an accurate depiction of a students knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Metaphor is the correct word rather than code. You got it. Congratulations.

    Special Assignment #1

    Write a post about why we use metaphors. Give examples in history and literature and even EDM310. Due Sunday November 20, 2011.

    ReplyDelete