Sunday, October 2, 2011

Blog Post 6




The Networked Student
In this first assignment it talks about the 21st century student. Basically, what Wendy Drexler is trying to explain in the video is that in this day and age student must be networked and not completely rely on professors and teachers to do that for them. In the video there is a student who had a teacher that basically relied on technology to get the teaching done because he didn't have a book and he always did social networking because that is how she wanted it done. He also had something called iTunesU, and what this does is it gives you music, but it also gives you access to tons of different material scholastically.
In this they ask, Why do we need teachers if we have all of this technology? The reply to that is fairly simple, the teacher is the one who guides the student to learn. The teacher helps the student be ready for the world without doing everything for them, by just preparing them the best way they can.
I agree with all of this for the most part. I believe technology is important, but I also feel like face time with your teacher is important as well. To answer the questions in the blog post assignment, I am not entirely sure if I am ready to be a technological teacher like Dr. Strange asked, but I do know that I will work hard to prepare myself to be ready. He also mentioned how she will do this with middle school age students, and I am not sure how I feel about all of that with all the technologically savvy children, but then again it might not be a bad idea?
A 7th Grader's Personal Learning Environment
The first thing I have to say about this is that I was completely in awe that a 7th grader was already doing all of this different stuff on the computer. It completely blew my mind, because when I was growing up that was not the case to have my own home page of material and have a paperless classroom. To compare her learning style to mine I would have to say that they are completely different because even today being in college I still rely heavily on taking my own notes and I just do not see how you can rely on just a computer, but if you can then more power to you.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tyler,

    My name is Courtney Holifield, a student in EDM310 as well. I completely agree with you that it is important for students to have face time with their teachers. I myself appreciate having a teacher in person many times but not all of the time. I noticed that you mentioned iTunesU in you blog post. I was given the chance to do my podcast on that topic last week. You should check it out. I Found iTunesU to be very informative and a great resource for teachers now and in the 21st century. Have a great week and good luck in EDM310!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tyler, you wrote a ton of words in this post. However, you only said a few statements.
    Here's an example.
    "In this first assignment it talks about the 21st century student. Basically, what Wendy Drexler is trying to explain in the video is that in this day and age student must be networked and not completely rely on professors and teachers to do that for them."
    This is everything in that statement with substance: Wendy Drexler explained that the 21st century student must be networked and not rely on teachers.
    Who is Wendy Drexler and what video did you watch? Don't forget links!
    Do you have a PLN?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tyler, I'm a students in EDM310 also. I agree with you on having a teacher most of the time in class incase support or help is needed. I also rely a lot on paper and pencil even though I am on the computer a lot. That 7th grader knows more than I do about this stuff. i am trying to learn PLN and things but I'm worried I'm doing it wrong. Unlike her I am not confident in some things I do on here.

    ReplyDelete